The Hannah Block Historic USO/Community Arts Center is owned by the City of Wilmington and managed by Thalian Association Community Theatre. The building is a historic and cultural treasure that has been the center of recreation and art for generations of local children. Today the building continues to be the home for children, art and recreationwhile serving as a mini museum of the Wilmington and New Hanover County WWII homefront. The World War II Wilmington Home Front Heritage Coalition, an all-volunteer 501(c)(3) preservation organization, is the de-facto preservationist of the building’s history and maintains the home front museum. For more information go towww.wilmingtoncommunityarts.org.
Established in 1788, Thalian Association Community Theatre is a non-profit, membership organization dedicated to enhancing the Cape Fear region through live community theatre and arts education. Thalian Association Community Theatre produces five major productions annually on the Main Stage at historic Thalian Hall and professionally manages the Hannah Block Historic USO/Community Arts Center for the City of Wilmington. The youth theatre program offers training and performance opportunities for children ages seven through high school seniors. In 2007, Thalian Association Community Theatre was designated North Carolina’s Official Community Theater by the state legislature. For more information, go to www.thalian.org.
What We Do Today:
- Five shows annually Main Stage Thalian Hall
- Five Youth Theatre shows at the HBHUSO/Community Arts Center providing youth ages seven through high school senior free theatre training and performance opportunities
- Theatre arts education classes that are very affordable for area children with scholarship opportunities upon request (TACT Academy)
- The Donn Ansell scholarship to deserving high school seniors who are serious students of the theatre and plan to further their theatrical education following graduation
- Free special school performances of Youth Theatre productions to designated New Hanover County Title 1 elementary and middle schools plus school with stated need with Sensory Friendly Performances for NHCS Elementary, Middle, and High School students
- Management of the Hannah Block Historic USO/Community Arts Center for the City of Wilmington and offer rehearsal and classroom space at little to no charge for visual & performance arts as well as partnering with other organizations for community events
- Creative Arts Camp, the area’s largest performing and visual arts summer day camp for children ages four through high school senior
- Providing the venue for the NC Azalea Festival Official Juried Art Show, High School Students Art Exhibition, and host the Official NC Azalea Festival Children’s Art Contest at the Community Arts Center
- Orange Street ArtsFest every Memorial Day weekend, one of the largest and most popular downtown arts festivals
- ARTfall Exhibition at the HBHUSO/CAC, every September as part of American Craft Walk Wilmington
- Divine Divas Come to the Cabaret annual fundraiser to benefit TACT and She ROCKS (research, ovarian, cancer, knowledge, support) donating over $30,000 since 2017