Call for Artists July 2019
Hannah Block Historic USO/Community Arts Center
Seeks Artist Submissions for the 5th Annual ARTfall Exhibition
On Display September 19-22, 2019
The Hannah Block Historic USO/Community Arts Center is seeking 2D and 3D artists for the 5th Annual ARTfall Juried Art Show and Sale to be held September 19 – 22, 2019. ARTfall will be one of the events during American Craft Walk Wilmington (formerly the Art Walk), a celebration of art and handmade craft culminating in the downtown walk on September 21st.The ARTfall Exhibition will be open to the public 10am – 5pm daily with an artists’ reception Saturday September 21st, 2:00 – 4:00 pm featuring the award presentation at 3:00 pm. The deadline for applications and online registration is August 30, 2019. CLICK HERE FOR ONLINE SUBMISSION (Now Open)
ARTfall will be juried by Owen Wexler and Miriam Oehrlein. Mr. Wexler is a long-time Wilmington resident and internationally known visual artist whose work has been featured on TV and film. Ms. Oehrlein, winner of the 2012 Belk Designer Showcase, specializes in jewelry design and owns New Elements Gallery. Awards will be presented for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place, Honorable Mention, and People’s Choice with cash prizes totaling $350.00.
Only original artwork completed within the last two years will be considered for exhibition. Original artwork is the artist’s sole creation and is not, in whole or in part, a copy of any other persons work or photograph. Preference is given to artists from the Lower Cape Fear region.
- Exhibits will be September 19 – 22, 2019. Selections are made by a review panel.
- The Review Panel will consider up to a maximum of 5 digital images. Images must be in a JPEG or TIFF format with a minimum resolution of 300 dpi not to exceed 1080 pixels in any one direction. Additional support material including resume, exhibit history, and artist’s website will aid in the selection process. Due to space limitations we may not be able to hang or exhibit all accepted work, but all work will be juried.
- Works must be suitable for viewing by the public. The participating artist must be the one who conceived of and executed the finished product. Photographically or commercially reproduced work is also acceptable. It must be limited editions, signed and numbered by the artist.
- By submission of an application, the artist accepts all conditions set forth in this prospectus.
- Artists who will not be dropping off their work in person are responsible for all costs associated with the shipping to and from the HBHUSO/CAC.
- Applications must be received by August 30 with the JPG or TIFF artwork images.
- All two-dimensional works must be framed or gallery wrapped and wired for hanging. Exposed edges and beck must be clean. The HBHUSO/CAC reserves the right to refuse the installation of items with faulty framing, wiring or hanging devices. Glass clip frames or saw tooth hangers will not be accepted.
- Three-dimensional works must not require special installation or assembly and are limited to available pedestals. Jewelry will not be considered for exhibition.
- At the time of installation, the artist is responsible for completing a consignment agreement with a member of the HBHUSO/CAC staff and provides a complete inventory of works
- The HBHUSO/CAC will collect 20% on all sales during the exhibition.
- Artists whose works are selected own the pieces until it is sold by the HBHUSO/CAC. All works will be handled with professional care. The Hannah Block Historic USO/Community Arts Center, the City of Wilmington and Thalian Association Community Theatre limit liability for damage of artwork from handling, viewing and exhibition use during the consignment period. The Hannah Block Historic USO/ Community Arts Center nor any of its subsidiaries are not responsible for damage or loss that occurs prior to, during or after expiration of the consignment period. Artist shall at all times maintain appropriate property and loss insurance coverage on any consigned items to protect Artist against damage or loss to such consigned goods.
- All artists accepted may provide a black folding fabric bin and display work. The work need to be clean, properly backed and protected with shrink wrap. All bin work should be labeled with title, artist name, medium and price.